Saturday, August 28, 2004

Chicago, birthplace of skyscrapers

Last weekend I visited Chicago and it was such a great trip that I wanted to share some of the cool sights!



Chicago, I discovered, was the birthplace of skyscrapers. As a result of the Chicago fire of 1871, an innovative style of construction was created to build taller buildings. The first skyscraper was built there in 1884. The nine-storey structure was supported by a steel skeleton that become known as the distictive architectural style called "the Chicago School". Chicago's skyline is probably one of the most interesting in the world because of the density of tall buildings with many different unique features.



Other impressive things were the Millenium Park, which has the coolest interactive public 'sculptures', the "Bean", and two water towers that showed interactive faces of the city's people; the Art Institute of Chicago which houses the largest collection of Impression and Post-Impressionist art outside of France. I was also lucky to be taking a river and lake tour in a boat during an air show and had F18s fly and do stunts right over my head several times.





My stepdaughter in front of "The Bean".





One of "The Towers", there's two of them with different pictures interacting with each other and eventually spraying water through their "mouths" on the kids playing in the water plaza between them. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture.





The air show planes going over the boat next to us.



Chicago was soooo interesting because it gave me firsthand insight about the birth of industrialisation and capitalism. I have to go back again, because I just missed a musical I wanted to see (The King and I), I haven't gone to listen to the blues, I haven't had time to do the south side of the city, nor seen the famous old houses of the world famous architects who have for some time made Chicago their home. I also want to take my son to see the Chicago Bulls. That's for my next trip! It's only a 8-9 hour drive from Toronto, now I know the roads.

No comments: