Thursday, December 30, 2004

Some thoughts on ancient Thai scripts

I've been busy with my paper and other things and regretfully have neglected blogging. There's also so much new information I'm trying to digest. What's been an interesting result of my paper, are these serious questions: Why does the Thai government attribute the discovery of the Thai alphabet to King Ramkhamhaeng, when there seems to be abundant physical evidence that there are other ancient scripts that Thais have obviously been using before that time. Especially, why not include the Lanna script? or the Isan dharmma script for writing Pali? The deeper I dig, the more confusing the information. In a post on my other blog, I've linked some images of Thai script to compare it with Kmer, Thai Lue, and Brahmi script (which is said to be the origin of our script.) Below, I've linked from Rajaphat Ubon University an image of Thai Noi or Isan Dharma script (the blue script). Description can never be as good as the images themselves.

2 comments:

KorBua said...

Yeah I wonder the same question... maybe the gov't only want to praise the alphabets that is used when all the cities (ie. lanna) were incorporated into the ancient siam. then again... i dunno much about it. :) Still waiting for an answer... Let me know when you find the answer. :)

Cuauhtémoc said...

Korbua, sorry I didn't respond immediately. I've been neglecting my blogs for a year or so now. I get these malicious attacks... you know.... I've also started school to learn about filmaking. It's taking all my enery right now. However, I will never forget my fascination with Thai history.. so hopefully I can come back to blog on this page again... some time in the future.

I'm really happy you're reading my post and like them. Thanks so much