Friday, January 7, 2005

Paradise Lost

Cushioned as I am by distance, and comforted by news from home that none of my immediate family were affected, I remain, one week after, still shell-shocked by the magnitude of the Tsunami's destruction on December 26. So many lives lost, so many homes destroyed, villages wiped out, so many families inconsolable. For the Thais, who have rarely suffered calamities, their confidence in their secure environment has been dented. For humanity as a whole, we are humbled by Nature's power over the fragility of life. That, I guess, is why people from all over the world have responded so immediately, so overwhelmingly. December 26, 2004 will be marked in many people's memories as the day Paradise was lost. I pray for all those who have died, and I pray as well for those left behind who suffer. May all be delivered from suffering.

No comments: